….Passing along some info I hope is helpful. to others…
What a BLESSING to cancer patients in these areas of the country! 🙂
“Angie’s Spa Cancer Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that funds FREE (in-hospital) massages and other integrative medicine services to men and women undergoing chemotherapy, radiation and surgery. These services are designed to alleviate painful side effects, provide relaxation to enhance traditional treatments, and give cancer patients a self-esteem boost.
Angie’s Spa is a funder only. We are not a retail spa, but rather a non-profit foundation that funds accredited programs in qualifying cancer centers. We distribute a Request for Proposal to the Cancer Center or Integrative Medicine Department of a hospital interested in applying for a grant. Those Centers design their own programs that if funded, will use their own staff or outside contractors. If the Center is selected then we enter into a contract with them. They submit an interim and final report and we are in touch with them regularly for advice and feedback and visit the Center at least once a year, sometimes quarterly depending on the needs and requests of the Center. The Centers also administer a questionnaire to the patients that provide them and us with feedback. They promote and publicize their program and we encourage them to fundraise for it. All the money received in any fundraiser goes directly to their program.
Angie’s Spa prides itself on the fact that 100% of our donations go directly toward the patients services at each hospital program. This is possible due to the generosity of the hospitals assuming all overhead costs and pro bono services for the establishment and day to day operations of the organization.
We post current articles in the support of cancer patients using therapeutic massages and other treatments. Please visit the Research In the News section under Calendar and News on this website for more information as well as our Facebook page. You can also follow us on Twitter @angiesspa.
New Grants awarded for 2012-2013 are as follows:1. Northridge Hospital Medical Center, Northridge, CA- $40,000, a continuing grant to provide FREE therapeutic massages for men and women with any type of cancer, inpatients and outpatients. In addition Northridge has been offered a matching fundraising grant of up to $3000.
2. Hartford Hospital, Hartford, CT- $25,000, a contiuning grant to provide FREE therapeutic massages, acupuncture, reflexology and yoga for all as well as manicures and haircuts for inpatients.
3. Southampton Hospital, Southampton, NY- $7500, a continuing grant to provide FREE therapeutic massages and reiki for outpatients undergoing chemotherapy.
4. Health Alliance Hospital of U Mass Medical Center, Fitchburg MA, $15,000- a new program providing FREE therapeutic massages, acupuncture and therapeutic yoga for outpatients http://healthalliancefoundation.org/…nds-Sinon.aspx
5. MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston TX- $21K for a continuing grant to provide FREE massage therapy and Acupuncture services for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy or radiation therapy. Services also offered to caregivers of patients.
6. University of Miami Sylvester Cancer Center Deerfield Beach, FL-$20K grant to provide FREE therapeutic massages to outpatients.”
(Copied and pasted from: http://angiesspa.org/)